Which Sewing Machine Is Best For Quilting in 2023
Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i, 60 Built-In Stitches, 7 styles of 1-Step Auto-Size Buttonholes, Wide Table, Hard Cover, LCD Display and Auto Needle Threader
Bernette 35 Swiss Design Sewing Machine
- The inexpensive sewing machine for beginners which includes 23 stitches and 7 presser feet.
- The bernette 35 is a mechanical sewing machine with no computerized controls.
- The width, length and pattern of stitches are easily set by turning the three knobs. Tension can be adjusted during sewing by using an easily accessible wheel. The bernette 35 has an automatic one step buttonhole function which is quick and easy to use.
- Automatic buttonhole allows you to sew professional buttonholes quickly and easily.
SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine with 600-Stitches Electronic Auto Pilot Mode, Extension Table and Bonus Accessories, Perfect for Customizing Projects
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There’s even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only
Brother XR3774 Full-Featured Quilting Machine with 37 Stitches, 8 Sewing Feet, Wide Table, and Instructional DVD, 8 Included Sewing Feet, Red, 8 Included Sewing Feet
- Easy-to-use, value-packed and versatile, perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects
- Least expensive Brother sewing machine that Includes a wide table for large scale projects such as quilts
- 37 unique built-in stitches, including a great selection of decorative stitches (74 total stitch functions), and a one-step auto-size buttonholer for virtually perfect buttonholes
- Includes 8 sewing feet, with buttonhole, zipper, zigzag, blind stitch, button sewing, narrow hemmer, walking and quilting feet. Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute): 800
- Ease of use features include built-in needle threader, jam-resistant top drop-in bobbin and brightly lit LED work area
Singer Confidence Quilter 7469Q Computerized Electronic Portable Sewing Machine
- Automatic needle threader and Drop & Sew bobbin system make for quick and easy set-up. Helpful Hint: To secure thread, pull both threads to the backside of the fabric and tie together.
- 98 built-in stitches with seven fully automatic one-step buttonholes provide endless project possibilities
- Programmable needle up/down and drop feed make quilting fun and easy
- Four bonus quilting feet and an extension table create the winning quilting combination
- Electronic twin needle control and adjustable stitch length and width allow you to customize your projects. 110 volt sewing machine designed for United States and Canadian use only. . Amps: 0. 62
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only.
Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
Quarter Inch Quilting Foot with Guide Sewing Machine Presser Foot - Fits All Low Shank Snap-On Singer, Brother, Babylock, Euro-Pro, Janome, Kenmore, White and More
- Provides Ease-of-Use for Tasks that Could be Extremely Tedious if Done by Hand
- High Quality Premium Sewing Feet
- Fits All Low Shank Snap-On Singer* (Some Singers Require Low Shank Adaptor), Brother, Babylock, Euro-Pro, Janome, Kenmore, White, Juki, New Home, Simplicity, Necchi and Elna Sewing Machines
- Makes a Perfect 1/4" Seam
Bernette 38 Swiss Design Computerized Sewing Machine with Bonus Bundle
- This is the affordable top model in the bernette series of sewing machines, with includes a wide range of functions
- The bernette 38 is the top model in the bernette series. This computerized sewing machine offers a wide range of functions at an affordable price.
- It offers 394 different stitches, including the stretch stitch for elastic fabrics. The bernette 38 also has eight different one step buttonholes and three alphabets.
- The bernette 38 has a useful speed regulator which can be adjusted right on the display.
- Bonus Bundle Includes: Bernette Rolling Trolley, Bernette 10 Piece Presser Foot Set, 10 Clear Bobbins and 20 Needles
Janome Memory Craft 6600P (6600) Sewing Machine w/Built-in AcuFeed Feeding Sytem + Extension Table + Trolley + AcuFeed 1/4" Seam Foot + AcuFeed Ditch Quilting Foot + AcuFeed Open Toe Foot + Much More
- The Janome Memory Craft 6600P has a Built-In ACUFEED Superior Feeding System - This Allows For Superior Feeding of Both the Top and Bottom Layer of Fabric - Perfect For Large Quilts, Fine Fabric and More! / Built-In Automatic Needle Threader - No More Eye Strain! Simply Pull Down the Needle Threader, Place Your Thread in the Hook and Pull Back
- 163 Built-In Sewing Stitches with a Built-In Alphabet - Your Possibilities are Endless! Sew Quilt Labels and More with the Built-In Alphabet! / Jam Proof Easy-Set Top-Loading Bobbin System - Simply Follow the Track and the Machine will Automatically Bring the Bobbin Thread Up For You. There is No Need to Worry About Running Off the Edge of Your Project Because the Bobbin System is Jam-Proof / Easy to Use Control Panel with LCD Panel - The Easy-to-Use Control Panel makes Sewing a Cinch
- Handy Function Buttons - The Thread Cutter Button will Cut Both the Top and Bottom Thread with the Touch of a Button. The Reverse Stitch Button will Have Your Machine Sew in Reverse for Reinforced Stitching. The Lock Stitch Button Finishes the Stitch You are Sewing so You Don’t End Up with Half a Stitch Pattern. The Needle Up/Down Button will Bring the Needle Up or Down with the Touch of a Button and the Start/Stop Button will Start the Machine without the Need for a Foot Control!
- Comes With an Incredible Amount of Accessories - Black Roller Machine Trolley Case w/ Storage Pocket, Large Extension Table, ACUFEED 1/4" Seam Sewing Foot, ACUFEED Ditch Quilting Sewing Foot, ACUFEED Open Toe Sewing Foot, 10-Pack of Sewing Bobbins, ZigZag "A" Sewing Foot, Overcasting "C" Sewing Foot, Rolled Hem "D" Sewing Foot, Zipper "E" Sewing Foot, Satin Stitch "F" Sewing Foot, Blind Hem "G" Sewing Foot, Cording "H" Sewing Foot, Overedge "M" Sewing Foot, Automatic Buttonhole "R" Sewing Foot
- Also Comes With - 1/4" Seam "O" Sewing Foot, Open Toe Satin Stitch "F2" Sewing Foot, Dual Feed "AD" Sewing Foot, Free Motion Quilting "P-2" Sewing Foot, Accessory Box, Quick Reference Chart, Knee Lifter, Foot Control, Screwdriver, Plate Screwdriver, Pack of Needles, Lint Brush, Seam Ripper, Large Spool Holder, Small Spool Holder, Cloth Guide, Bobbins and Quilter Bar
Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine, White
- 27 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The XM2701 includes 27 built-in stitches including decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches and an auto-size buttonhole
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XM2701 comes with 6 sewing feet, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, instructional DVD, manual and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT The XM2701 comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online live chat or phone for the life of your machine
SINGER | Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine with 23 Built-In Stitches -12 Decorative Stitches, 60% Stronger Motor & Automatic Needle Threader, Perfect for Sewing all Types of Fabrics with Ease
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE:The Singer 4423 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1, 100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for thick seams
- HEAVY DUTY METAL FRAME: The Singer 4423 heavy duty sewing machine is a true workhorse. With a heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedframe, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, this sewing machine can sew through a variety of heavy weight fabrics and provides long lasting stability
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with All-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper/lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
- WARRANTY: SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Portable Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited Warranty. Note : Refer to the Videos and also the PDF attached below in Technical Specification for Manuals.
SINGER | Simple 3232 Portable Sewing Machine with 32 Built-In Stitches Including 19 Decorative Stitches, Automatic Needle Threader and Free Arm, Best Sewing Machine for Beginners
- SINGER PORTABLE SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER 3232 portable sewing machine features 32 built-in stitches, a built-in 1-step buttonhole, built-in needle threader and a heavy-duty metal frame making sewing creative projects fun and easy
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye in seconds. The built-in needle threader helps you thread the eye of the needle effortlessly
- SEWING SPEED: The SINGER 3232 sewing machine has a maximum speed of 750 stitches-per-minute, so larger projects can be sewn quickly
- HIGH PRESSER FOOT LIFTER: The SINGER Simple 3232 sews several layers of thick fabric. The presser foot can be raised to a higher position for easy positioning of your project
- AUTOMATIC REVERSE SEWING MACHINE: Push the conveniently located automatic reverse button to sew in reverse and reinforce the stitching
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only. Watts:60
How to Make Fabric Appliques
If you can sew, you can make all types of appliques to add to fabric items, and you can turn ordinary clothing into unique works of art. Best of all, you don't have to use a sewing machine to make appliques.
Don't buy ready-made appliques. You can make appliques from many different types of fabrics to create interesting graphics, and the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. If you can sew, you can make all types of appliques to add to fabric items, and you can turn ordinary clothing into unique works of art. Best of all, you don't have to use a sewing machine to make appliques.
One of the first sewing projects I completed in my sewing class was an appliqued pillow. I found the graphic for the pillow in a coloring book. Coloring book pictures are perfect for appliques. They aren't overly detailed; they can be cut out and traced onto fabric of your choice, and then reassembled to make a complete picture. Look in your children's coloring books. You'll be surprised by the possibilities.
The Internet is another great source for applique patterns. Visit for dozens of fantastic patterns to embellish pillows, bedding, clothing, and more.
Stencils are also a great way to make fabric appliques. Craft stores and some discount stores offer a wide variety of stencils. You can find free stencils online at . You'll also find instructions that illustrate how to make your own stencils.
Many different types of fabric can be used to make one applique. Keep in mind that different types of fabric could require different washing and drying methods. Try to choose fabrics that are similar in weight and require the same type of care. Lightweight to medium weight materials make the best finished pieces.
Tracing and Cutting
Trace pieces for appliques using a sharpened fabric pencil. Leave ½ inch of extra material around the traced pieces if you plan on using a sewing machine, and leave ¼ inch of extra material around the edges if you'll be hand stitching the pieces, unless you're going to use fusible fabric adhesive.
If you plan on attaching pieces to fabric using fusible adhesive, or stitch witchery, the excess material around the edges isn't necessary. Stitch witchery is fusible iron-on fabric adhesive that comes in a roll. If machine basting or hand basting pieces to fabric, the excess material should be carefully and evenly trimmed away after attaching, just beyond the stitches.
A single piece of fabric can be sewn on as is, but pieces sewn together to make one design should be overlapped a little so the finished design looks whole.
Hand Stitching Appliques
Begin by stay stitching the pieces so they don't unravel. Stitch the edges just beyond the traced lines so they won't show when they are turned under. Cut notches in the curves and corners so the edges won't curl.
If you used a stencil, place the first fabric piece right side down, and place the stencil shape in the center. Fold over the extra material around the edges of the shape, and press them down with a hot iron. Remove the stencil, and hand stitch the overturned edges. Pin the pieces in place on the fabric to make the design, and whipstitch them to the fabric with color coordinating thread.
Machine Stitched Appliques
Machine stitched appliques can be attached to the fabric with stitch witchery. You can find it online or in fabric supply stores. Alternately, pieces can be machine basted or hand basted to fabric before finishing with a sewing machine.
Use tight zigzag stitches to attach the pieces to the fabric, and keep most of the stitching on the design rather than the background fabric. Stop sewing to pivot around corners, and sew slowly and carefully around curves to make professional looking appliques.